Friday 20 January 2012

Can't believe my eyes

Armed with an opening lyric and melody, it's time to introduce the instrument. In this case the guitar. I have a Yamaha APX-10C acoustic/electric. This guitar is about 20 years old and is what I start many of my songs on. I find that I will play some chords and then apply the lyric. I originally started this song with an 'E' chord (the song was moved to the key of 'A' about 18 months ago after I had met Mark Hall. This is the key the releasd version is in) and would then play a sequence of chords whilst searching for the next line. The opening line always sets the scene and conjures up the imagery associated with the song itself. 'Here comes the new Elvis Presley' to me threw up an image of someone that looked, sounded and had all the same idiosynchracies as Elvis. A carbon copy, replica or clone. Hence the next line 'can't believe my eyes', is a natural progression of the scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment