Saturday 11 February 2012

Suspicious Minds

I was about to call this post 'Graceland' but that triggered Paul Simon's song in my head, so I went for 'Suspicious Minds' instead, although this triggered off 'Fine Young Cannibals'. Be my guest and check out 'You Tube' for both these songs. For the intellectually astute, you would have realized that both 'Graceland' and 'Suspicious Minds' feature in the last two lines of the 2nd verse. 'Here comes the New Elvis Presley, and he's doing fine, unlock the gates of Graceland and free your suspicious minds'. These lyrics continue the storyline of apparently witnessing the second coming of Elvis which plays nicely into the hands of a 'doubting Thomas' analogy. The lyrics deliberately draw parallels to a religious experience throughout. As I mentioned previously my songs start with the opening line and a melody, so the whole imagery for the song formed at that point, and each line was constructed to support the underlying theme. We have now concluded the 2nd verse. If you have enjoyed this post why don't you write a comment. I'll be happy to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment